Dear STEM School Highlands Ranch Middle School Families,
We were notified today that a student in sixth grade has tested positive for COVID. You are receiving this message because your student has been identified as having the same class schedule as the COVID-positive student and was exposed if they were at school on Tuesday, Aug. 31. If your student was present at STEM for in-person learning on Tuesday, your student should do one of the following (per TCHD guidance):
- If your student is vaccinated, your student can continue to attend in-person learning, however we do ask that you please monitor them for symptoms.
- Students who have been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past 90 days (and completed their 10 days of isolation related to that case) do not have to quarantine and can return to in-person learning.
- If your student is unvaccinated, your student must remain at home in quarantine and access their coursework remotely. Your student’s teacher has been notified and is available to answer any coursework questions. Your student can return for in-person learning on Monday, Sept. 13.
Below are the affected class period during that time frame:
- Period 3 – Middle School Robotics (Mr. Reinkensmeyer)
- Period 5 – Math Course II (Ms. Martin)
- Period 7 – Language Arts (Ms. Vander Hook)
- Period 9 – MS Study Hall (Mrs. Nason)
If your student was online or absent during any of those periods on Tuesday, the quarantine does not apply and can attend for in-person learning.
Why do unvaccinated students have to quarantine again?
STEM’s Secondary School was moved to Elevated Risk status with the outbreak in sixth grade. Per TCHD guidelines, “Outbreaks can expand and be prolonged if there are new waves of cases in subsequent 14-day periods that can be linked back to the original outbreak setting.” TCHD has determined that this positive case has been linked to our previous cases that caused our first outbreak and for sixth grade to go remote. Click here to read the TCHD Cases and Outbreaks in School Settings guidance.
STEM will only move out of Elevated Risk Status if we can go for 14 days without a new positive case that can be linked to the original outbreak.
NOTIFYING STEM OF COVID-19 POSITIVE CASE
If your student tests positive for COVID-19, please contact our School Nurse, Mallory Jimenez (firstname.lastname@example.org) immediately. She will then notify the appropriate STEM Leadership Team members to then initiate our communication process. Ms. Jimenez will then provide instructions on next steps.
Additionally, if your student is exhibiting any symptoms of COVID-19, please keep them home from school and monitor them.
We truly appreciate your cooperation and understanding. Please know that we are working around the clock to get answers from TCH and to then get them to our families as quickly as possible. We know that decisions like these impact your schedules so please know that we are doing everything we can.
Please reach out to email@example.com with any questions.
STEM School Highlands Ranch Communications